Pages

8.29.2011

mom & dad

I no longer have internet access at my place of residence, so I've not been writing. My life has been incredibly hectic recently. To add to the stresses of planning a wedding with no local bridesmaids and the ever constant struggles with my brother, both of my parents are dealing with medical issues. My entire life I have never seen my parents weak. Not really weak, at least. My father has always been strong and able to fix anything. My mother has always been emotionally strong, withstanding things that make my stomach hurt to think about.

Recently, my father has been having an issue with his right (dominant) hand that requires surgery. This may not sound like a huge deal, but he also has Von Willebrand's disease, creating a huge risk when performing any surgery, as his blood does not clot (he almost bled to death getting his wisdom teeth out). This is scary in and of itself, but it's even harder to watch my father be physically unable to do as much as he used to - his age is hitting me in the face. Hard.

About three and a half months ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My grandmother had it, my mother has it, and I am mentally preparing myself for the day when I hear those frightening words spoken straight to me. After all she's been through, this is what made her feel weak. It knocked the wind out of her at first. Thank God, she has the "best" type of breast cancer possible and she has an incredible doctor in Indianapolis. Tuesday will mark her third surgery so far to hopefully get the rest of the mass - the doctor is avoiding a mastectomy at all costs. After this, she will go through 6 weeks of radiation and hopefully this will all be behind us.

I pray for patience. For strength. For guidance. For doctor's wisdom. For perseverance. For peace. For comfort. And finally, for healing. And I thank God for giving me parents who, despite their shortcomings, have raised me to believe. And I thank Him for all of the precious time He has given me with them, and the incredible memories that are to come.

1 comment: